|Part-1 Electrical Engineering
|Electrical Circuits and Networks Electric
- current, Voltage, Resistance- Definition and its units,
- Laws of resistance- Sp: resistance conductance and conductivity, Effect of temperature on resistance- temperature. coefficient.
- D. C. circuits- Ohm’s law- series, parallel, series-parallel circuits.
- Network theorems- Kirchoff’s Law, Superposition theorem, Thevenin’s theorem, Norton theorem-
- Electric power and Energy in DC circuits, their units etc.
- Heating effect of electric current- Joule’s law.
- Generation of alternating voltage and current- instantaneous values of voltage and current
- Definition of a cycle, frequency, time period, amplitude value, average value, R. M. S (Root Mean Square) value, form factor, peak factor, phase difference
- relation between frequency, poles and speed.
- AC through (Resistor), L (an inductor) and C (a capacitor)
- voltage, current, power, P. F in pure resistive, inductive, capacitive, single-phase circuits
- active, reactive and apparent power,
- Q- factor, Resonance in R- L- C circuits
- parallel AC single-phase circuits
- vector, phasor method, Phase sequence. Interconnection of three- phases, star and delta connection.
- Relation between phase and line voltages and current in star and delta power in a three-phase system in star and delta, resonance in a parallel circuit
- Generation of polyphase voltage- advantages.
- Power, current and power factor in a three-phase balanced system. Balanced and unbalanced three-phase system.
- Q- factor, Simple and complete waveforms, Balanced star-delta and delta star conversion,
- Three-phase power measurement- single, three and two-wattmeter methods.
||Static electricity- Absolute and relative permittivity of a medium, Dielectric constant- Laws of electrostatics.
- Electric field, Field strength, Electrostatic Induction- Electric flux density- potential and potential difference- the potential of a charged sphere- Equipotential surfaces, Potential gradient
- Breakdown voltage and dielectric strength. Capacitor and Capacitance- Capacitance of an isolated sphere, spherical capacitor and parallel plate capacitor, variable capacitors, capacitors in series and parallel.Energy stored in a capacitor.
- Faraday’s Laws of Electrolysis, Electroplating,
- primary and secondary cells, comparison of lead-acid and alkaline cells, Initial charging and commissioning of new batteries, Charging methods, Ampere hour, and Watt-hour efficiencies,
- Galvanizing and Anodizing, Extraction of zinc and aluminum, field application of Electrolysis.
- Absolute and relative permeability, Field strength magnetizing force, flux and flux density, B. H. curve.
- Methods of magnetization, force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field- Magnetizing force of a long straight conductor, long solenoid. Magnetic circuit- magnetomotive force, reluctance, Ampere turns, Permanence, Reluctivity.
- Comparison of magnetic and electrical circuits- Faraday’s laws of electromagnetic induction direction of induced emf and current, statically and dynamically induced emf. Relation between flux density and magnetizing force, expression for dynamically and statically induced emf, self and mutual inductance, Coefficient of coupling,
- Energy stored in a magnetic field.
||Electric heating and welding- its advantages and types of electric heating-
- Resistance ovens- methods of temperature controls- design of heating elements- various properties of resistance heating materials.
- Electric welding- different types- resistance welding- spot welding- pre welding- seam welding- electric arc welding
- electrical properties of negative resistance- types of arc welding- requirements of welding generators and transformers
- use of reactor for control of welding current- third brush and bipolar welding generators- description.
- Induction heating- Principle- the factors affecting induction heating- induction furnace- core type and coreless type
- high-frequency eddy current heating- dielectric heating
- equivalent circuit loss angle application of dielectric heating
- Arc furnace- direct and indirect types
|Electrical Drives in Industry
||Mechanical features of electric motor- frame size- relation between speed and frame size-types of enclosures.
- Electric drives- the classification of electric drives- group, individual and multi motor drives matching the drive with load- basic classes of duty- continuous- short time- intermittent periods duty, selection of electric drives- steel mills, paper mills, cement mills.
- Traction motors- DC and AC motors- properties and characteristics- control of DC motors series-parallel control systems of electric traction- DC single and three-phase systems of supply brief description.
- Electric traction- system of electric traction- direct electric traction- diesel-electric traction merits and demerits- factors affecting specific energy consumption.
||Define estimate- essential elements- calculation of conductor size-
- current rating of copper and aluminium cables- simple core- wiring accessories- layout preparation, wiring, diagram and estimates for a house, office building, schools, cinema theatre.
- Earthing- purpose- I. S. rules regarding earthing- Types of earthing, rules regarding power circuit wiring – estimation and costing of control panel and wiring of small workshops- estimate and costing of service connection wiring using U G cables and O H lines-
- estimates and cost of materials regarding wiring pump set in single phase and three phase systems.
- Define terms used in illumination- Laws of illumination- various lighting schemes- illumination level for various places-
- space height ratio- utilization factor- Depreciation factor- Maintenance factor-
- Design of lighting schemes for various rooms- arrangements of lamps- design of flood lighting schemes. Types of lamps- incandescent- gas filled lamps, advantages over vacuum lamps- types of gases used
- Arc lamps- Principle and uses- Halogen lamps- CFL working and uses- discharge lamps- sodium lamps- HMPV and LMPV lamps- neon lamps- fluorescent lamps and the field application of each.
- Extension of overhead lines- estimate and cost for extending single-phase low-tension distribution lines- three-phase distribution lines- street lighting using O H lines- U G cables estimate and cost of 11 kV OH line extension.
- Mechanical aspects of O H lines- electrical aspects of O H lines, Types of U G cables.
- Sub-station- I E rules regarding spacing of conductor- distance from building etc- materials used for erecting 11 kV sub-station- preparation of the distribution sub- station- 4 pole mounted substation- P length mounted sub- stations.
- Define installation scheme for 2 large industries. Designs of ratings of back- up fuse, ACBS, MCCB, busbar, cables, capacitor banks, generator, change over mechanism, transformer etc as per rules.
- Basic electromagnetic laws- ElectroMotive Force (EMF) generation in a rotating machine- common features of electric machines- types of electrical machines- production of torque concepts of electric machines
- torque balance- power losses and efficiency- methods of ventilation and cooling machines
- Principle and working of a practical generator and construction details- commutator assembly EMF equation- classification of generators based on methods of excitations,
- Armature windings equalizer connections. Armature reaction- effects- commutation- methods of improving commutation.
- Generator characteristics. critical field resistance and critical speed- uses of DC generators. DC motor principle- back emf- voltage equation- torque equation- Types of motors- motor characteristics for DC shunt, series and compound motors. Factors controlling motor speed methods of speed control of shunt, series and compound motors.
- Starting of DC motors- Starters Types and necessity. Testing of DC motors- losses in DC machines- determination of efficiency- Swine borne test advantages and disadvantages
AC Machine Transformers, Electrical Measurement and Measuring Instrument
- Synchronous generator-characteristics and parallel operation of alternators-voltage regulation synchronous motors –
- measurement of power and energy-measurement of R, L, C –
- single phase induction motors – transformer principle – testing of transformers-special purpose transformers
- principles of induction motors speed control of induction motors- fractional horsepower motors-
- theory of measuring instrument- -commercial measuring instrument-CRO and transducers.
Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Switchgear and Protection
|Electrical power generation-economic power
- transmission line elements-underground cables-sag in transmission lines-
- power factor improvement-
- distribution system (ac and dc) Short circuit current calculation and fuses-circuit breakers-relays-protection of alternators, transformers, transmission line- earthing and lightning arresters.
|Part 2- Electronics Engineering
|Basic Electronics, Electronic Devices and Circuits, and Digital Electronics
- Types and functions of resistor, capacitors, inductors, transformers
- Basic network theorems
- Fundamentals of alternating current (Define waveform, time period, frequency and amplitude, phase difference, R.M.S value, average value)
- A.C. through resistors, inductors, and capacitors
- Q-factor of a coil
- Resonance in R-L-C -series & parallel circuits
- Inductive reactance, capacitive reactance and impedance
- Semiconductor materials, devices and circuits: Conductors, insulators & semiconductors, intrinsic & extrinsic semiconductors
- Diodes & Rectifiers, different types of diodes, transistors, UJT, FET, integrated circuit, opto electronic devices
- Power devices – SCR, diac & triac.
- methods of inter stage coupling, tuned voltage amplifier, Audio power amplifiers, feedback amplifiers, oscillators and Multi vibrators,
- Schmitt trigger, wave shaping circuits. Digital electronics and Op-Amps:
- Number systems & Digital Circuits, Boolean algebra, switching functions AND, OR, NOT, NAND NOR, XOR operations, Logic families, Combinational Logic Circuits, Sequential Logic Circuits,
- Operational amplifiers (Circuits, Applications) Memories, Programmable Logic Devices.
- Communication systems. Modulation AM, FM, & PM, Mobile Communication, Radio Transmitters, Demodulation and Radio Receivers, Antennas, Microwave Communication, Satellite Communication, and Fiber Optic communication.